Thursday, December 29, 2011

Dec 29, 2011 The Two Companions


(Coming Unto) The Lord of the Rings (& Everything Else)
Part 2 of 3
The Two Companions

Part 1 Elder Watson and Elder Holmes and the Case of the Cold

I am afraid I was battling the Cold Orcs from last Friday till Monday. It was a hard enough transition without getting sick. I kind of got frustrated. The transition is REALLY hard. I felt better Sunday night after hearing a talk from Stephan B. Allen. He identified 4 phases of missionary work:

1. Honeymoon Phase

Everything was wonderful in this phase, this lasted the first day and a half (two?) I was super excited and everything was going great.

2. The Hostility Phase

This is what happened when I got sick. I got sick, couldn't think and was frustrated at every little thing Elder Watson did. I was working hard but entirely focused on myself.

3. The Grin and Bear it Phase

This is what happened on Sunday. It was a rollercoaster of a day. But I decided to try and make sure that my bad day didn't influence anyone else. Writing home made me even more frustrated because the computer froze every 5 seconds (literally).

4. Endure to the End

This is what happened Sunday night when I heard this talk. Stephan B. Allen asked all the missionaries who had been depressed here at the MTC to stand up (85% did.) Then he asked every missionary who had considered going home to stand (80% did) ((Including me))

I am not writing this to complain, I am one of the luckiest people on this planet to have the chance to be serving the Lord. I am set apart to represent JESUS CHRIST. I can think of no better way to spend Christmas than that. I am writing this to let you know, change is hard. Adjusting is hardly ever easy, but the Lord will help you and after the Grin and Bear it Phase, you will feel better than ever.
I Love the fellowship in my district. I love the branch presidency. In my interview with the branch president (the elfin king) he asked me about my background and suggested that I test to see if I could go from the intermediate class to the advanced Spanish class.

This brought me to a hard decision. The fellowship of my district was threatened. I loved hobbit Watson, the dwarf Samuelian, and everyone else in my fellowship, but it was time to chance out on my own. I took the test and was informed that it was the end of my part in the fellowship.

Part 2 The Change

Yesterday they took me out of class and switched me to the advanced district. For the past two days I have been in a class where they speak only Spanish and focus entirely on teaching. It has been a refreshing change and I am enjoying battling the Teaching Orcs. My change also has some changes for you, 1.  new address, and 2. I will now be leaving on Jan 11 (?). Many of my new district are Hispanic and it has been a small culture shock.

Part 3 Hermano Gollum

Yesterday night I learned through sad experience the importance of obeying spiritual promptings immediately. I was journeying with my new companions (forest elves) to meet with the mysterious creature, Hermano Gollum (I can't remember his real name, but we were doing a practice teaching assignment with someone from outside of the MTC). My companions were weary of this creature because they had encountered him before, they told me he was hard core Catholic (Which in my opinion is wonderful to be invested into religion, I highly recommend it) and very mean (not suggested) and critical (not suggested either). After talking with him for a few minutes, I felt the spirit whisper to me that it was time to leave. It was a group teaching appointment in the MTC, and I was in a group, so I chose to ignore the prompting.

Hermano Gollum soon became very bitter. He used his twisted logic to attack our beliefs, and even went so far as to say that what we were doing was evil. The spirit could not stay with me in that room, but I continued to stay there because my elfin friends were there. After we left, I commenced the long process of trying to regain the spirit. Losing the spirit was like having thousands of darts shot into my chest (Shout out to all Boromir fans).

What I should have done was leave immediately. Every soul is precious in the sight of God, but that is why it is important to heed those promptings. He doesn't want to lose his soldiers on people who need time.

I Love you all,

Elder Ball

PS My new address in the MTC is:
Elder Taylor Ball
MTC Mailbox # 276
ARG-SAL 0110
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

No comments:

Post a Comment