Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jan 17, 2012 Elder Cinderella



Well, it has been an exciting week here in Central Ogden. It also is my last. I received a transfer to Syracuse! Don't worry, I still have the same address to write to. (It is the mission address, they forward the letters to me.) For those of you who have a moment to write, I LOVE hearing from you! Here is my address:

Elder Taylor Ball
4380 S. Orchard Ave.
South Ogden, UT 84403

As always thanks for including me in your prayers and please continue to do so.

Elder Cinderella

My time here in Ogden has passed by quickly. (It was only a week.) But it felt a little like Cinderella. . .

Cleaning

When I first got to my apartment here in Ogden I freaked out. It was a TERRIBLE mess. There were lots of dirty dishes, a bathroom strait out of a horror novel, and a fridge overflowing with expired food. I was instantly overwhelmed and frustrated. I had a hard time functioning in that apartment, but I got some wonderful advice from my mom on cleaning the apartment. She said, "Start with what frustrates you the most and then just spend a little time cleaning every day." WONDERFUL ADVICE.

After cleaning the kitchen, and spending a little extra time cleaning every day, my apartment slowly started feeling more like home.
The First Step Sister

The first night I arrived, I had the opportunity to do my first lesson. I admit to being apprehensive and a little nervous. It was the first lesson with this family. We knocked on the door and walked inside. Inside was a wonderful lady and her sister, unfortunately so was her drunk brother (?) His Spanish was slurred and fast, and I couldn't understand a thing. Suddenly two years loomed over me, was this what I was going to be dealing with for the next two years? I didn't have the nerve to say anything. It was a long lesson. At the end I stuttering gave a testimony.
The Second Step Sister

That night made up for it though. We had a GOLDEN investigator. I was SO excited. This lady had already been to church. She knew a lot of members and had a good opinion of them. I felt much more comfortable and actually spoke more than my companion did. At the end of the lesson we asked her how she felt, and she said she felt like the things we said were true. SO GOLDEN. . . that is until we went back the next time. I was super excited for that next visit, but the apartment was dark and she wasn't home. We figured that she must have forgotten, so we went back later.  There was a light on, and we knocked, but no one answered. We later saw this investigator on the street, she hurried to avoid us. I don't know what happened, but this frustrated me more than the drunk Mexican.
The Step Mother

I finally had reached Sunday. I had survived strange visits and fool's gold. My apartment was now much cleaner and I had even started referring to it as home. The night before we had found two new investigators with beautiful families. We felt strongly that these families were golden. We listened for their concerns and tried to apply the lessons to be more relevant to them. We had invited them both to church and were very hopeful. No one showed up.

Honestly, this last downer didn't affect me as bad as the first two had. Somehow in the week I have been here, I have learned to let troubles roll off of my shoulder and just do the best to focus on things I can improve. Things like obedience, humility, language skills, and teaching skills. When I focus on things that I have control over, I am much happier.
The Fairy Godmother

Sometimes the Lord tries us before he sends us a miracle. Here are a few of mine.
·         I am still very hopeful for those two families that we met.
·         My Spanish is by all accounts very good. I have noticed that I can't speak it very well when I can't feel the spirit though. I definitely know that the Lord is helping me with Spanish.  I now can understand most of what investigators say.
·         That Sunday a nonmember showed up with a friend. He said that he wants to hear the lessons to figure out if he wants to be baptized or not.

Pumpkin Carriage

Sadly, my time here in Ogden is over. Tomorrow my Pumpkin Carriage will carry me away to a new area. I have heard good things about my new companion (My 4th in the first month!) and am excited about what we will be able to do in Syracuse. I have learned a lot and continue to learn. I will keep on working to help people find their happily ever after.

(c) Elder Taylor Ball 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment