Monday, March 26, 2012

March 26, 2012 Psych!


Psych!

One of my favorite TV shows before my mission was Psych. Psych always made me laugh because every episode seemed to be a compilation of the craziest things the writers could think of combined into a semi plausible, but very comical plot. Looking back at traveling here to Argentina, I feel like my journey here went much the same way.

I received a call two Thursdays ago telling me I was to leave the following Monday to Argentina. I was excited to leave, but also sad to be leaving the Syracuse Bluff Stake. After a hurried preparation, I was, once again, all ready to leave for Argentina. I was nervous so I asked one of the local bishops to give me a blessing. After the blessing, I felt all my fears leave, I was READY. On Monday, I went to the mission office where one of the couple missionaries made sure that I knew the number of the missionary travel office, so I could call if anything went wrong, and then a car picked me up and took me to the airport.

Long story short, our flight got delayed, and we were going to miss our layover in Dallas, so I called the mission travel office who told me to get my bags and they would schedule the flight for the next day.  So another bus came and took us back to the MTC (3rd time!! haha) The other missionaries in the group were pretty down about it, but I was just laughing about it. 2 months in the mission field has taught me to just let some things slide.

We stopped at the In-N-Out in Orem. It felt weird to be 2 blocks from my house, but I didn´t see anyone that I knew. At the MTC, the other Elders called their old MTC branch presidents. I decided to call mine too, and I was sure glad I did. Later that night he came with two talks printed out for me, some much needed advice and information, and a seven layer bar baked by his wife. I am so glad I got to see President Tyler again. I think I really should write a letter one of these weeks about some of his life stories. They are amazing and inspiring.

That night I went to sleep once more in the crowded MTC dorms. My sleep was interrupted by a pounding that came at 5 am telling us that our plane was leaving soon. I groggily ran and got ready. We had no idea we would be leaving again that soon! Our flight included a layover in Atlanta. I had the chance of talking with two people on my trip about the gospel. I invited them to go to Mormon.org at the end to find out more.

Our travel plan ended in Buenos Aires, Argentina with instructions to meet Alberto. We found him without too much trouble, but he took our passports and the papers we were told to give him and walked away. THAT’s when we started to feel a little nervous. Then some guy with a mohawk comes up to us and says, “Follow me.” We just stood there. Then a woman came and told us to follow him. We hesitantly started following him. The movie Taken started replaying in my mind. I was a little freaked out. Then we saw some missionaries waiting for their flight home that told us that it was ok and that we should follow them.

So we went, and were taken to another airport. From there we flew to Salta. There I met my mission president, and the adventure can begin.
DON¨T CRY FOR ME, I AM IN ARGENTINA!!
--

*Elder Taylor Ball*


Street Crossing


 The fastest way to send me mail is probably pouch mail or dearelder.com. Both will come in about a week. (I am in the Salta, Argentina Mission)

**POUCH MAIL: You only need normal US postage for this one. Post Card or Paper (using one piece of paper- fold into thirds with the blank side on the bottom, secure with two pieces of tape one inch in from each end, do not seal the ends. In the top left corner write your name and complete return address, Affix first class postage in the top right corner.)

Elder Taylor Ball
Argentina Salta Mission
POB 30150
Salt Lake City UT 84130-0150

** LETTERS: I personally prefer these the most, but they will take about 3-4 weeks to get to me, so your reply may take awhile . . .

Elder Taylor Ball
Argentina Salta Mission
Casilla de Correo 429
4400 Salta
Salta
ARGENTINA

** PACKAGES: Will be really expensive for you to send and I am not 100% sure that they will get to me. But a lot do. I have to pay 50% of whatever the government thinks it is worth for import fees. But hey, if you want to send something I won´t say no!

Elder Taylor Ball
Argentina Salta Mission
Los Eucaliptus 75 B° Tres Cerritos
4400 Salta
Salta
ARGENTINA

Telephone: 54 387-439-8119 (required if shipped with private courier)

No comments:

Post a Comment