Monday, April 2, 2012

Apr 2, 2012 Jello, Conference & Lollipops - OH MY!


Culture - Here in Argentina they really love Grapefruit Soda, which really isn’t all that bad, but kind of weird.

Jello, Conference, and Lollipops - OH MY!

I was glancing through my journal, and I had to laugh as I read my 2nd entry on the mission, but since I feel like it applies the first few weeks out in the field too, I am going to share it with you:

“I have heard that the first few days at the MTC is like trying to take a drink out of a fire hose. I think that a better description would be jumping into a pool of Jello and trying to drink it all. The Jello analogy is especially a good fit, because of the time change. The week before the MTC flew by, but now it is inching on slowly.  Like Swimming through Jello.”

I don’t know why all the other kids at school thought I was weird.

ANYWAYS, General Conference was AMAZING. The close up on Jason C - Priceless. This last week I was running out of money for the week. (Don’t worry I have plenty now, it was just a first week thing.) So I carefully planned it out so I would have 5 pesos for Saturday and Sunday so I could buy two loaves of bread, and maybe some pastry thingies. However, as my companion and I were walking down the street, we started talking to an old man. He said something in Spanish through his toothless mouth that I understood about as well as I understand Opera. That is I understood nothing. My companion did however and he told me that the man hadn’t eaten anything in two days because he had no money. My 5 pesos started burning in my pocket. My companion didn’t have any money with him, but I gave it to him.  AMAZING thing, I had SO much food offered to me this weekend. I did not go hungry at all. The Lord takes care of us when we put him first.

This first week in Argentina was kind of hard. Not so much that the adjustment was terrible. It was big, but time went so SLOW. It was like the Jello was three weeks old. I wanted time to go faster because things were getting harder. General Conference helped put things into perspective. Now I think the mission is more like a Giant Delicious Lollipop that someone gave me. BIG as in Basketball big.  There is no way I am going to finish this in a day, and if I did my Mom would kill me. (Joke, nutrition . . . haha?) So I need to take this mission one lick at a time. As I focus on why I chose to come out here and on enjoying the moment, I am so much more happy. It doesn’t matter where I am or how successful others perceive me to be, only that I feel like the Lord sees me as successful.

I hope this letter finds you all healthy and happy,

--
*Elder Taylor Ball*



“The definition of an optimist . . . is someone who isn’t sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy, but is tickled silly just to be in the play.” - Robert Brault. Found in a book by President Thomas S. Monson 


This picture is one I took in the plane as we flew over North Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment