Monday, April 9, 2012

Apr 9, 2012 The Miracle of Forgiving


Random Culture Note - Here the milk comes in bags.
The Miracle of Forgiving

I would be lying if I said my transition here was easy. It wasn´t because I am in a foreign country; I am excited to be here. It wasn´t because of the language; I have been lucky enough to be doing really well in that regard. It was because I didn´t get along with my companion.

I don´t want to make this email into a list of his faults or mine, but we had a hard time getting along. I kept on offending him, and I felt like I wasn´t doing anything wrong. He thought that I was very prideful and all I could see was his. We wouldn´t really talk as we walked from house to house, and all I could think of was going home.

In short I was miserable. We just clashed, and clashed bad. Then I went to General Conference. All of the talks were amazing, but there was one in particular that stuck out to me, it was President Utchdorf´s talk about not judging others. He said,


"Jesus said it is easy to love those who love us; even the wicked can do that. But Jesus Christ taught a higher law. His words echo through the centuries and are meant for us today. They are meant for all who desire to be His disciples. They are meant for you and me: “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.”

It took a few more days for this to really sink in. But one day when I was out it hit me, as long as I held on to this bitterness I could not be really happy out here in the field. So I took him aside told him I was sorry that I was hard to live with and that I forgive him. He didn´t accept it then, or forgive me then, but I was freed from feeling miserable. I was so happy after I did that. I have tried to not judge him and be ´´filled with charity" in my thoughts towards him. I still have a hard time with some things that he does but I am much happier.

Later in the week he told me what the real problem was. He was frustrated with the area and was used to companions who were always talking to him. My last companion was very quiet and so I was used to the silence. He had lost his only outlet and took my silence as hatred for him. Since then things have improved greatly. I wouldn´t say we are the best of friends yet, but we will get there.

An embarrassing thing I had happen to me my first week here. I had no idea what was going on so when my companion welcomed someone into the chapel, I naturally assumed that he was an investigator. As we went through church, I kept on showing him things like pictures and talked about ´The Family - A Proclamation to the World´ with him. I went through all of church like that, and then later that night I asked my companion who he was. It turned out my ´investigator´ had been a member for a year already. Oh well. I laughed about it when I figured it out.

Have a great week!
--
*Elder Taylor Ball*


I love 2 Nephi 4:17-35. It is where I really feel like we get to know who Nephi really is. We see the struggles that make him human. I especially love that his problems led him to action.





The fastest way to send me mail is probably pouch mail or dearelder.com. Both will come in about two weeks. (I am in the Salta, Argentina Mission)

No comments:

Post a Comment