Monday, May 21, 2012

2012-05-21 Strange Comparisons


RCN (Random Culture Note) - Here instead of saying "Cheese" before someone takes a picture they say "Whiskey."
Strange Comparisons

This week we went to visit one of our investigators at his work, which is basically watching a huge warehouse when no one was in it. As I crossed the field to get the other side of the warehouse I thought ´´If I had a machine gun right now this could so be a video game.´´ Probably not what most people would think when crossing a field to go to a large warehouse, but imagination is the spice of life. Here are some other interesting comparisons that I have made here in Argentina:

DOGS: There are a lot of strays here in the street. Most of them are harmless and even friendly but occasionally they are ´´perros malos´´ (or bad dogs). Yesterday when a Dog started to bark and follow us I raised my scripture case and it went running away. ´´The word is stronger than the sword!´´ I thought. A sword would have been cool to have though.

CALIFORNIA: All the houses here have bars outside of the windows. When I first got here it kind of bugged me, now I don´t even notice. But those first few weeks I just pretended that I was in the place I remember having bars outside of its windows, California. A really bad part of California. (But seriously, I feel WAY safer here than I did in Downtown Ogden.)

CAMPING: I remember that one of my Coworkers at Jimmy Johns always described his mission as camping for two years. He went to a different part of Argentina than me, but I feel like I am hiking most days. About 2 to 3 times a week we walk half a mile on a dirt trail to get to a small town.

LORD OF THE RINGS: Those of you who read my first few letters probably know that I love Lord of the Rings. I love the idea of going off and having a great big adventure to fight against a vast evil army and win. I think the mission is a pretty good analogy to that. I can only hope my mission ends as well as Sam Gangee, the Mormon hero. He went, had his adventure, married and had a lot of kids.
--
*Elder Taylor Ball*

D&C 123:17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all
 things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

 My attempt at flan
My companion

5 month mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment