Monday, September 10, 2012

2012-09-10 Mini Missionaries, Baptism, and Temple Dedication - Oh My!


Culture - For BBQ grills here a lot of people use Oil Barrels with metal bars for stands. (see attached picture)


The Wizard of Salta
Mini Missionaries, Baptism, and Temple Dedication - Oh My!


Talk about a crazy week! I would have to say it all started going crazy after a tornado of a Pday and landing on a frightening doubt of Mauricio who was going to be baptized that Saturday. It all got more complicated when our president called and told us we had mini missionaries headed our way. (Mini missionaries are local youth that are preparing for missions that come and live with us full time missionaries for a while.)

My munchkin really isn´t that small. His name is Elder Millan. He reminds me a lot of my friend Andy back home. We work really well together and get along really well. The first night we were together we passed a group of teenagers hanging around a saint shrine of Gauchito Gill. Elder Millan jokingly said ´´let´s go talk to them.´´ One of them was a member so I agreed and walked over to the group. Elder Millan kind of freaked out a bit when I started talked to one. But when he realized I knew who I was talking to, he laughed about it later.

Elder Millan and I also went to go visit a girl named Sophie with a member who was baptized while my cousin Melody was here 3 years ago. Sis Chocobar is a wonderful person and currently the Primary President. SaltaƱeans, being from a very warm climate, think that anything lower than 70 degrees is cold. So Sis Chocobar asked why I was wearing my short sleeve shirt. I told her that I was showing off my muscles to the local girls. Sis Chocobar kindly informed me that I didn´t have anything to show. Don´t worry sisters, I am still getting in my daily verbal abuse.

The highlight of the week, of course, was the baptism. We found him three weeks back while I was on divisions with another Elder. We contacted him at a time when he was never home. His grandmother was a very active member before she passed away, and his mother is less active so he had good memories of the church. I loved teaching him because we got to teach in English, and because he saw all of the little evidences that God put in his way to show him that the gospel is true. He asked me to baptize him because I met him first. It was really a wonderful baptism.

Yesterday I got to see an unforgettable temple rededication. The Buenos Aires Temple was rededicated by President Eyring and Elder Christofferson (who served in salta and speaks perfect Spanish!) A sister missionary started crying in front of us and that made me realize how much I missed the temple too. The dedication made me feel like I was there again. I miss going every week with my friends back home.

We ended this week with an amazing Argentinean BBQ. A sister in our ward cooked it for us because two missionaries in our district are leaving next week. Every week is an incredible adventure!

Thought - Today would be a good day, while the clock of mortality clicks, to review what we are doing to prepare to meet God. - Elder Ian s. Ardern

Photos

1 Argentine BBQ

2 Elder Millan beating me up

3 Baptism
--


*Elder Taylor Ball*

No comments:

Post a Comment