Monday, January 21, 2013

Jan 21, 2013 The Best Part of the Roller Coaster


The Best Part of the Roller Coaster

Remember that giddy feeling you got the first time you were on a roller coaster and it picked up speed as it went down the hill? That is the way I feel right now. I LOVE the mission So much.

So . . . THE NEWS . . . Elder Cárcamo is headed to my birthplace Santa Ana. And so after 2 weeks getting to know my area I am now in charge of deciding where we go. My new companion is Elder Flores. He is a member of a branch here in Tartagal that got baptized about a month ago. He is super excited to be a member and to be here on a ´mini´mission.

This week a wonder lady was baptized! It was an amazing experience! I have never taught someone so prepared. She had been taught before by other elders more than 10 years back. Elder Cárcamo and I celebrated the baptism by buying a HUGE milanesa Sandwich.

I think one of the coolest experiences I am having is focusing on teaching by the spirit. This week I had the opportunity to give a talk in church. I had been thinking a preparing for it, but I really couldn´t decide exactly what to talk about. I really didn´t know even as I walked up to the stand. The words did come though. I talked about suffering and its relationship with life's purpose. I quoted Lehi in 2 Nephi 2 about opposition in all things, and the importance of following the Lord while we suffer. I shared the example of Joseph Smith´s leg infection and how all he wanted for the pain was to be held in his father's arm. I was inspired to say that in our afflictions, we too should turn to our Heavenly Father´s open arms. I know that He is there waiting to help us. Several people came up to me and thanked me for the talk afterwards. I thank our Heavenly Father, for saying what some people needed that day.

I think the biggest thing that I am learning is just to rely on the Lord to make the changes in these people. I do very little as a missionary to help people convert. I think I am mainly just here to cheer people on and to let the spirit teach.


1 - Baptism

2- Sandwich

 3 - Elder Cárcamo leaving

4 - Elder Flores and I





-- 
*Elder Taylor Ball*

No comments:

Post a Comment