Monday, May 13, 2013

May 13, 2013 But If Not


But If Not

I love the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.  They stood up bravely to a king and told him that they would not do something they knew was wrong.  They had faith that God would save them.  They said
 17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to adeliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
 18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will notaserve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
Of course in the end, the Lord did bless them and save them.  I love the story because to me it teaches us two things.  One, if a king ever asks you to bow down to his golden image, don´t do it! (Actually kind of a problem where I am serving . . .) Second, God is not the one being tried here, we are!

Sometimes, I feel like I am doing everything I should be doing to help people make correct decisions and be baptized, and we don’t see any immediate blessing from that work.  There are times when we dedicate ourselves to something like we never have before and don´t see the results.  I have never followed the Spirit as much as I did this week, I have never had such powerful scripture studies as I did this week, and I am very exhausted from the effort.  We didn´t have any baptisms last week, the work is very frustrating at times, but I am grateful for it.  

The Lord is helping me learn things that I might never have learned if the outward signs of success came easier.  Real success is found in our inward dedication to the Lord and this work.  I have great hopes for this next week.  I know that we can see more outward fruits in our labors here, but if not, that’s OK.  I am going to keep on dedicating myself and doing what the Lord expects of me.

I am sorry that this week ended up sounding like more of a Sunday School lesson.  I have been learning a lot.  

I love you all!  Talking to my family was amazing!
  
Elder Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment